Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Christmas with Anna


A REAL Christmas Revealed

Last night, Erin, Bella, and I drove the 17 miles to Anna's house. We had called Jan Sunday night to make sure it would be alright if we took Anna out for food and presents. Anna overheard mom talking to me and wanted to ask me a question: "Can you bring Bella here?" "I missed you too, and of course I'll bring Bella." ;)

We arrived in George (the Mercury Topaz) and talked with Jan and Grandma for about 15 minutes while Anna got ready to go. It was nice to see Jan and of course Anna again. Anna made sure that we had Bella waiting in the car for her to hold.

Chili's on Pilot Knob Road was our destination. The two girls headed inside while I gave the third girl a chance to go the bathroom (I'm learning). She did her "thing" and we headed back to the car, but not before two girls stopped us and swooned over Bella. (If I knew how much of a chick-magnet having a small puppy was, I would have gotten one long ago.) (I LOVE YOU ERIN.) After covering Bella's house with 2 down-filled vests, 1 down-filled jacket, and 1 down-filled blanket (just try and get me into trouble with PETA), I headed inside now much colder than Bella would ever be.

We ordered our food and presented Anna with her gifts. She unwrapped them like she wanted to either keep the wrapping paper or to prolong the moment. When all of the presents had been reavealed, she ended up with a tube filled with about a dozen small plastic animals, a My Little Pony book, the Cinderella DVD, and (her favorite gift) a Barbi Pegasus horse.

I read one of the stories from her new book and helped her save the plastic bunny from the plastic eagle. (And all before our food came.) She later would ask me if we could play with the animals when we got home. It nearly broke my heart when I had remind her that we would drop her off at her house. To which she replyed "Oh yea, I forgot."

Our tummies were filled as we piled into George and sang Disney songs all the way home. Anna gave Bella a hug and kiss goodbye and Erin and I both got hugs. I forgot how much I missed her.

It was bitter-sweet leaving. It was great seeing Anna and Jan (and Grandma) again but also hard to leave. Although it was also nice just to see them in small doses. Does that make sense? We volunteered to watch Anna the first weekend in January, so we'll see if that pans out.

It must be a sign of me getting older, but Christmas is truely a reflection of Christ's love. His coming down to live, spend time with us and set a perfect example of what we should be like. I think the time He spent with us, and now the time Erin and I spend with Anna, is the greatest gift we can give. The gifts are great and a nice little bonus, but if you don't have anyone who cares enough to spend time with you and to show you that you are loved, the material gifts are pretty much meaningless.

Like the rest of our lives, this saga will remain to be continued...

—b

No comments: