Friday, February 22, 2008

Dedication Weekend

(For more pictures of the weekend, click here or the link at the bottom of this post.)

This past weekend was busy in a good way. We had both sets of parents here (and of course Naener as well) for Brevin's Dedication. (Do Baptists capitalize "Dedication"?)

One thing Erin and I always take for granted is how well both sets of parents get along with each other. In fact, I dare say "like" each other! ;) Besides the whole Viking/Packer rivalry, they are quite similar. The biggest factor should go without saying in how much both sets of Brevin's grandparents love Jesus. This boy better not turn out "emo". He's got too many loving people around him.

(On a side note, I also had more people loving me when I went through my "black period". I'll love him no matter what he decides to do.)

Anyway, last week Erin asked me to write up something for the bulletin as a bio for Brevin. I think it's funny that we have to come up with something to write about him. What am I supposed to write about? He's 7 months old, he hasn't really accomplished a whole lot. ;) So I came up with a bio I figured would be appropriate for the Sunday. The following is what I wrote and submitted to Erin for her approval:

She said, "Oh, my lord! As your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you, praying to the LORD. For this boy I prayed, and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of Him. So I have also dedicated him to the LORD; as long as he lives he is dedicated to the LORD" And he worshiped the LORD there. —1 Samuel 1:26-28

Just as Hannah prayed for Samuel, we prayed for Brevin Isaac. The Lord knew all along He would bless us with a son, what we needed to have was a continued faith in a loving God. Not only did God know about Brevin before we did (Psalm 139:13), God also knew his name.

We wanted a family name for our firstborn, but who does he get named after? Bernt's family? Erin's family? Why not both? Just as husband and wife became one (Mark 10:8), our firstborn son would follow suit. Bernt's father is Bruce, while Erin's is Kevin; hence Brevin.

As we live under grace and raise our son as he should go (Prov 22:6), only God knows what is to become of Brevin. It is our job as parents to make sure Brevin's main source of nourishment, comes from that which gives life, God our Father (John 6:56).

Not five minutes after I IM'd it to Erin, she called saying "That's nice...but...it's to churchy. Can you make it funny?" Hmmm...k. Sure. The following is my second attempt:

Brevin Isaac Eidsmoe. Circa July 20, 2007.

Immediately this little guy hit the public eye with questions concerning his name. Why "Brevin"? Is it marketable? Are the Erik's, Chris', and Steve's of the world ready for a Brevin? When the questions from the marketing department arose, Co-creator's Bernt and Erin Eidsmoe held a press conference to disclose the origin of the name. The following is a portion of the complete transcript:

"When the honor of naming anything is given, especially a gift from God, Bernt and I take the responsibility with the utmost of care." Said the mother Mrs Eidsmoe. She continued with, "Both Mr. Eidsmoe and I wanted to carry on a family name and due to the fact we could not choose one of our father's over another, we decided to combine the two. For those of you who haven't been informed, my husband's father's name is Bruce while my father's name is Kevin. I believe you will find the resulting name to be most pleasing and agreeable."

Mr. Eidsmoe then stepped to the microphone and yelled "Yeah!"

She said, "Oh, my lord! As your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood here beside you, praying to the LORD. For this boy I prayed, and the LORD has given me my petition which I asked of Him. So I have also dedicated him to the LORD; as long as he lives he is dedicated to the LORD" And he worshiped the LORD there. —1 Samuel 1:26-28

Not knowing what my more down to earth wife would think, I was already mentally preparing to write a third draft. But as soon as I submitted it, I got the approval to run with it. Wow. I was not expecting that. So, Sunday came and that's what ran.

Thanks honey for letting me be me.

—b

FYI, Click here for a bunch of pictures takes by my dad. Thanks dad, they turned out great!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Great pictures! Brevin had some good expressions that made me laugh out loud! He's so cute. =)

Em

Unknown said...

Thanks Em. We think he's cute too. Then again, we are a little biased. ;)

—b