Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Practicing What I Preach

Here I am, practicing what I preach.
(Stupid Accountability)

When posting a portion of my daily devotional, I risk coming off as preachy. Unfortunately, people can read what I write and interpret is as something completely different than what I had intended. Also, when I am writing, I want people to know that I don't always do what I know I should do. I know what I should do, I type what I should do, but when it comes to doing what I should do, I struggle in doing the do. Make sense? :)

One thing we are commanded to do is take up our cross on a daily basis. In laymens terms, we are to do what Christ says even if we would rather do something else. Well, right now I'm taking up my cross.

Wednesday night is "Bernt" night. I get to sit at home, pop in a boy movie, take a nap, pig-out and basically do whatever I want. (Taking into consideration the house must be clean by the time Erin comes back.) Anyway, the last thing I want to do on "Bernt" night is drive 45+ minutes to Roseville, sit in a church waiting for Erin, then drive her back. Well, here I am.

I am trying to love my wife as Christ loved the church. And one big way that I can show my wife how much I love her is by becoming her driver. I am "washing her feet". And unfortunately I can't hold it against her. That would defeat the whole purpose and this would all be for not. After all, Jesus didn't say, "You should do this for me because I washed your feet."

Sure, I would rather be at home, watching Batman defeat the Joker's goons while eating Oreos and having Bella scarffing up the crumbs. But I'm trying to be more Christ like and put my wife before myself. And to be honest, I appreciate my wife more for making the trip every Wednesday and having a positive impact on kids' lives.

So, this post is supposed to be an encourager as well as an accountability report. How can I expect others to be more like Christ when I'm not. It just doesn't work. I'm going to try harder. I'm going to fail, but since my wife knows what I'm trying to do, she'll remind me. ;)

—b

No comments: