Monday, August 21, 2006

Our New Car!

Meet PHRED

The end of last week saw some interesting vehicle developements. Behold the end results...

Last Thursday I posted problems with our Jeep, Betty. She had some major oil leakage. After taking her to our regular mechanic (Master Automotive), we were told we had some spendy work that needed to be done. YEA! (No fault of Jiffy Lube...I guess.) Anyway, by the end of Thursday we had a few hundred less dollars in our pocket and a Jeep with ductape holding back the oil. (I'm assuming they put a new part on but who knows.)

With a sigh of relief that our car problems were over, we continued life as normal for the rest of the day.

The next morning was Bella's last day of womanhood. We finally got her spayed. Thankfully Erin had prepared for that expense, so no big deal. On our way out of the vet's office, we were greeted to Betty making a mess in the parking lot.

Hmmm...what did we just pay for again? Begin round two at Master Automotive.

I dropped Erin off at work and headed immediately over to Master. When I parked I noticed that Betty was still leaking. (I was relieved only because I had a fear of telling what had happend and then they weren't able to find anything.)

"It's probably just water", is what I was told after describing the leak to them. "After fixing the oil leak, we scrubbed down the engine." So I showed them were it was leaking. "Ah ha! See! Look, it's leaking!" (I didn't say that but I was thinking it.) Mr. Mechanic leaned down, dipped his finger in Betty's waste and declared, "Yep, it's water."

"Huh?" (Thank you Lord for this lesson in humility.)

"But it isn't because I scrubbed it down. Your water pump is leaking."

"D'oh!" (Thank you Lord for reminding me that we need you to provide everything.)

By the end of Friday, we our Jeep back and were Master Automotive's "Most Valuable Customer's of the Week." (I'm thinking of hanging the plaque in my cube.)

So how did we end up with PHRED?

Well, that same mechanic had a classic VW Beetle he was looking to part with. We have been looking for a car so my ears perked up. He told us it was the perfect vehicle and unlike all other cars, the classic Bug's actually increase in value instead of decreasing! Cool huh! He said it was worth about $42,000 but he would sell it for $17,000. By the end of 2007, he expects the value to rise to $48,000!

So without needing to look up the price on Kelly's Blue Book, we took it. It only has 212,000 miles on it and the only thing that needs to be replaced was the head gasket. It would take only $500 more dollars to fix it. So we are still in good shape.

...ok, so I'm lying to you right now. I may be a moron when it comes to cars but I'm not that stupid. ;) (I can only imagine Erin's dad quickly getting us on the phone asking if we can get our money back. Sorry Kevin.)

All of our other car fun is true though. Unfortunately. But luckily we still have our wits about us.

—b


Monday, August 21st 2006/Psalm chapters 81-87

GOD'S MESSAGE FOR ME TODAY
"But My people did not listen to My voice,
And Israel did not obey Me.
So I gave them over to the stubbornness of their heart,
To walk in their own devices.
Oh that My people would listen to Me,
That Israel would walk in My ways!"
—Psalm 81:11-13

HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO MY LIFE?
Obviously the Lord is speaking of Israel, but the same principle applies to us. The Lord is not going to make us do His will. It is in our own best interests but He isn't going to force us to do anything. Having said that, if we continue to disobey Him, He will not stand in our way and we will find out the hard way why we are not to disobey Him.


Copyright 2006, City Vision / John A. Mayer
You can purchase a copy of the CityView Report here.


BE IN PRAYER FOR:
WITCHCRAFT IN THE TWIN CITIES

There are an estimated 20,000 witches of all types who live in our metro area who meet in 179 different witch covens/groups. Many witches are drawn to the Twin Cities area because of the many lakes and rivers, which have spiritual significance to them.
• Church of the Deep Ecology, Minneapolis

No comments: