Monday, November 19, 2007

Mom Appreciation Saturday

How you doin'?

This past weekend reinforced my appreciation of Erin (and all mothers for that matter) when it comes to taking care of young kids. I have told Erin in the past I don't understand how she is able to accomplish anything with Brevin around; let alone when she is babysitting.

Saturday Erin got a haircut so it was just us boys and Bella hanging out that morning. Erin has him on a pretty good schedule so I knew he would be tired and go down for a nap. But I was hoping to be productive during that time. But of course Brevin had other ideas in mind.

We are traditionally safe to put him down 15-30 minutes after he is asleep. Saturday was the exception to the rule. So instead of picking up a few things around the house or doing dishes, Brevin, Bella, and I sat in the recliner watching Tora! Tora! Tora! (It was the first time I had seen the classic flik and I was impressed.) I should say, Brevin and Bella took naps while I lost feeling in my left arm and right leg as they were being used for beds.

When Erin got home, it was time for Brevin to eat and me to take a shower. My "freedom" was short lived though as Erin got a much needed girls night out with some friends from church. I knew the night would be the same as the morning being Brevin's fussy time is typically the time I usually come from work.

He proved consistent. He didn't really want to play all that long and I could tell he was getting tired. So I held him till he fell asleep and waiting for my magic window of time before trying to put him down. Sure enough, his attention alarm went off as soon as I laid him down. This time we watched the Robert Zemeckis/Steven Spielberg animated film, Monster House. (Which, by the way, is a movie I'd make Brevin wait til he's older to see. Definitely not a movie for younger kids.) Thankfully by the time Erin got home, Brevin was out and I could have had a lightsaber battle with my imaginary friend right there in the living room and he wouldn't even known.

Having said all that, my main point was my first one, this weekend really made me appreciate the mom's of the world. What a gift God has given to Erin and others. While Brevin is still at this stage, I'll do my best to enjoy the time I get to spend holding him, but at the same time, I'm anxiously awaiting our future lightsaber battles together. Besides, my imaginary friend Alessandro doesn't really put up much of a fight. ;)

—b

No comments: