Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Disney Afternoon


[sing]
Life is like a hurricane, i-n, Duckburg.
Racecars, lasers, aeroplanes, it's a, duck-blur…

Enough of that.

A couple of days ago, Erin and I went to Target to pick up a few household items and look for Christmas presents. While in the DVD section, I discovered that Volume 1 of Ducktales and Chip 'n Dales Rescue Rangers were just released! Good for me. Bad for Erin.

Memories of these two cartoon series flooded the levee's of my memory. I associate these two half-hour programs with coming home from school and quickly turning on ABC to catch the beginning of The Disney Afternoon. By 3:15, I had a huge bowl of vanilla ice cream loaded with Hershey's chocolate syrup and ever-so-delicately microwaved the treasured 4,000 plus calories for 30 seconds.

The Disney Afternoon was one of the best two hour blocks of time ever conceived by the TV gods. 1990-1998 was the lifespan of this beloved necessity of life. As you can read from Wikipedia's site (if you so chose to), it started out showing the Gummi Bears, followed by Ducktales, and finishing it off was Chip 'n Dales Rescue Rangers. Shortly after, TaleSpin was added to complete the masterpiece. Many shows were added replacing the originals but it would never be the same.

Back to present time… I had to have these. Reality set in. (Otherwise known as my wife.) I could only get one. (And she said I was lucky to get that.) Ducktales it is. That night I watched four of the nine episodes. Two nights later, I'm ready for disc two. (I'm easily entertained.)

While doing a search on the internet, I find these two titles are coveted by numerous others like me. Also on eBay is the Disney Afternoon soundtrack. Fun! Not worth the $40.00 plus fun that the bidding is currently up to, but still fun. Oh the money we will spend to re-live and remember our childhood huh?

The point of all this? Well, enjoy life right now because 15 years from now you might want to shell out some money for just a piece of it. And for you young entrepreneurs out there, (a-hem, Leif), if you can find something right now to hang onto for 15 years, it will probably worth some green.

—b

No comments: