Thursday, November 02, 2006

Roadblock


Ughhh!!!
This morning I ran right into a roadblock. Not literally but spiritually.

I woke up an hour late for my daily Bible study this morning. Not a big deal but it put me in a rush nevertheless. Bella was taken out, fed and coffee was made with near-perfect use of time. Continuing in my break-neck speed, I said a very short and pathetic prayer and dove right in.

After finishing Ezekiel chapter 27...nothing. I didn't get anything outta it. Hmm...maybe it was just a bad chapter. So I continued on. Chapter 28 was completed and, yea, it was good but still nothing. I was kind of getting frustrated. What was going on?

So I put everything down and had a sincere prayer. The Lord made it obvious to me that I was having a Bible study with myself instead of Him. I was so concerned with trying to hurry up and get a few chapters read that I forgot why I spend time with my heavenly Father in the first place.

Every morning before I begin reading, I ask the Lord to reveal something to me from scripture. And every morning, numerous points and "ah ha's" jump out to me. Every morning, except for this one.

Idiot.

So many people much smarter than I have read the entire Bible and they felt the same thing I did after reading two chapters. Nothing. The difference between them and me is that I have the Holy Spirit working for me. He does the work. He shows me the "ah ha's". Without Him, the Bible is just a textbook.

So my encouragement to you is that if you are frustrated in your quiet time or having trouble starting a quiet time, ask for help. Ask the Lord for "ah ha's" to be revealed to you. He will.

—b

No comments: