Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Happy Smurf Day!


UPDATE: For a great take on this Smurfy news, check out Peter Carlson's blog post. Excellent.

In the following tradition of making cartoons from the '80s into movies (Transformers, G.I. Joe, He-Man), yesterday Columbia Pictures announced a CG/live-action movie of the Smufs will be hitting the theaters in the near future. (See the recently released Alvin and the Chipmunks movie for an example of CG mixed with live-action). The writers will be the same team from Shrek. No time table has been given as to the release of the movie but a spokesman from Columbia is quoted as saying:

We are committed to it and hope to get moving on it as quickly as we can.

You can read the entire article here.


The Smurf franchise is currently celebrating it's 50th birthday party. (Yes I said 50th.) Apparently these little blue guys have been around for a while. You can visit their birthday site here.

So why am I telling you all this? I have no idea. I just thought it was Smurfingly odd. ;)

I do have a question for you though. Was anyone else told the Smurfs were "little blue demons" or they "represent Communism"?

—b

No comments: