Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What is Love?


What is Love?

I can tell you what it is not:
  • An expression you say to your spouse once a year
  • The "Saturday Night Live" skit of the same name
  • A line used at a bar to any girl who'll listen
  • An invention of Hallmark
Love is:
"This is how much God loved the world [you]: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life." —John 3:16 (Eugene Peterson's, The Message)

Ok, I realize some of you have already "checked out" of this post since I just had to mention a Bible verse. And some of you have heard this since you were 5. But just stop and think about it for 1 minute.

The creator of life itself, of the world we love to explore, even of the movie and sports stars we worship; this being called God, who doesn't need to give us the time of day, loved us so much that He would want us to live FOREVER with Him.

We who murder each other with words, who think of ourselves and could often care less of Him. We take the blessings he has given us (money, family and friends, work, a home filled with stuff, a spouse), and use it in spite of Him. This God (the creator of everything), WANTS us to live with Him.

Why?

Love.

I'll be honest with you. If I were in His shoes...err..Sandals, or vintage Air Jordan's, or Nike Shox, or whatever he wears, I would let us all [me] rot. Why would I want to spend any time with someone who sins as much as I do? Even when I know it's wrong, I do it anyway.

This brings me to my final question.

Do you love God?

How do you show it? Going to church? Being nice? Not swearing? Listening to Christian radio? Those are all nice but, do you spend time with Him by reading the Bible and applying it your life. The life (yours and my life) that He sent His Son to die for. Do you worship Him when things don't go your way? Do you look to Him when making the everyday decisions in your life?

Love God like he was your best friend. You can tell everything to Him and he always has time for you. Even when things don't go your way, tell Him. Scream at Him. He can take it. Just be sure to bring it to Him. The good and the bad.

Or did you already forget that He loves you, no matter what.

That's what love really means. Now my challenge to you (and me) is to show that kind of love to someone else. To everyone else. (Not very easy is it?) So tonight, when you are out with your husband or wife, girlfriend or boyfriend, remember how much God loves you and do the same.

Happy Valentine's Day!

—b

5 comments:

Emily said...

Bernt,

Thanks for writing such a lovely blog today. I like Valentines Day for that aspect. Walking around Leeds City Centre today, I saw lots of college age couples showing their PDAs and it was a little disgusting and I was wondering how much longer these couples will be together and if acting in this way with this person will later seem repulsive when they break up. I wanted to tell theme there's something better for you, infinately better. Even though I didn't have a boyfriend to make a foolish scene of myself with, I felt the joy from the love of my savior, which surpasses any earthly love imaginable. If only everyone could experience that love...if only.

Your little sis,
Em

Emily said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Thanks for the compliment Em. I was hoping it would be and uplifting post but after reading, was afraid it was a condeming one.

I sometimes get fed up with the temporary earthly love we see, and like to think about the love of Christ. It always makes me feel so good, except when I need to repent, then I feel even more unworthy.

Thanks for the email too. My next post will be on Les Miserables. It wasn't that bad. I just didn't know what to expect. I did like the music though.

—b

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have such a way with words! Thanks taking time to paraphrase. It was worth the work you put in.

Unknown said...

Ummm...Thank you Anonymous.

—b