Wednesday, April 25, 2007

STMLC Walk-Thru

Hello! Welcome to STEM's Short-Term Mission Leader Conference. To my right is Arika and I'm Erin. I'll be taking you through the next three days at the conference. After you complete your registration with us, you'll receive a nametag and our conference notebook. From here I'll take you to the exhibitors room where we can meet those who helped STEM sponsor the conference as well as get some coffee and snacks.


In the tan shirt on our left is Ramon Flores and the gal in the center in the brown shirt is Katie LePage. Both of them work in the Team Operations department recruiting and assisting our short-term mission teams. The weird lady on our right...well...her name is Noemi Hedrick. She takes pictures and is a lot of fun. If you ever read our blog, there is a link to her site/blog on there.

Well, it looks as if it's about time for STEM's team leader training to begin. Let's head over the chapel, I hear Bernt is involved in a skit. Let me just apologize before hand for what he may do.


[whispering] This has been a fun skit. It's a good way to portray what not to do when problems arise on the mission field. And what may be even better is Bernt hasn't embarrassed me at all.

Uh oh, he has another line...and someone stole a team members wallet...great, what's he gonna do?


[Bernt yelling "HULK SMASH!"] (Sigh...never mind.)


That was a good but brief break, now lets go to Roger's, he's the guy on the far left, workshop. He founded STEM in 1980 and since STEM has sent out close to 600 teams.

Next most of the STEM staff will be up front answering questions so if you just want to sit and relax, after it's done I'll come and sit next to you.


"This year, with a record number of teams going out, one of my biggest jobs has been preparing the team budgets. It seems to be non-stop and very time consuming and thankfully the other secretary Sharon has helped me out by taking on the book orders."

Thanks for saving me a seat. Next we're going to have some praise and worship.


Isn't it great worshipping with all these people. Even though we have never met any of them before, singing praise to God is the ultimate way to bring people from all different walks of life together.


Wow, Tim Dearborn is a really good speaker. He sure has convicted me on loving those whom we minister to while on the field. It's also a good thing he's engaging cause I'm exhausted and ready for bed.

Oh and did you hear my husband got lost while picking up Tim from the airport? Yea, why he was asked to pick him up I'll never know. Anyway, Bernt got to the airport right on time and everything was going flawless til the ride back to the conference. See Bernt can't multi-task at all. In fact unless I'm watching where he's driving, I never know where he might drive us to. Well, sure enough, he was talking with Tim and ended up heading home with him. Yea, good job Bernt. So he apologized to Tim and let him know why he was turning around. That's my husband for ya.

I'll see see you at 9:00 tomorrow morning for our first large group session of the day.


Hey, good morning! Let's head up to Orphanos' founder Wayne Sneed's workshop this morning. He'll be the guy sitting on the table. He has been in missions as long as Roger and has a great "Missions 101" class.


...Yea, I enjoyed Wayne's workshop too. Hey, do you mind hanging out for a little bit before the next workshop begins? I have to help out at the bookstore.

Thanks for waiting for me. I saw you talking with some people, that's good. I hear Dr. Lo's workshop is filling up fast, let head up their before it becomes standing room only.


Oops. Oh well. At least theirs room on the floor to sit. I can't believe how popular some of these workshops have been.



Jose's, Ramon's, and Wayne's cross-cultural skit is hilarious! They have the entire place cracking up!


[Singing] "Holy is the Lord God Almighty...the earth is filled with His glory!"


[Whispering] Isn't Lisa Espineli Chinn great. She is so humble and yet so powerful. There is no way I would have ever guessed just by looking at her how strong and insightful she is.

After she's done speaking, we are invited to a STEM friends and family only ice cream party where you can talk with Tim and Lisa if you'd like.


Great moustache Rachel! I don't know how you have so much energy. We are going home and straight to bed.

Morning...[Yawn] Whew...I'm beat. I hope your doing better than I am. If you'd like to come with me to the exhibitors room and grab some coffee while I talk with Tim Cave at AFC Travel, your more than welcome to.


Haha...very nice Tim. I'll come talk with you when you aren't so busy. (It's a good thing some people have energy in the morning.)

It's the last large group session of the day, I hope Tim Dearborn is upbeat and energetic 'cause this conference has been jam packed and I don't know how people will be able to sit through another 45 minute speech.


WOW!!! A standing ovation for both Tim and Lisa. In the four years that Bernt and I have been invloved with the conference, no speaker, let alone two of them, have received a "standing O". I'm sure glad some of their speeches were recorded and are available for download on STEM's homepage. I'm gonna have to download them and listen again.

Well, it's been great hanging out with you these past few days. I hope to see you again next year. I might be here next year but since Bernt and I will have a son, it might be touch and go. Besides, having my son around will be a great way to duck out a little early and catch some sleep.

Have a great trip home!

—b on behalf of e



Wednesday, April 25th, 2007/Psalm chapters 50–52

GOD'S MESSAGE FOR ME TODAY
For You do not delight in sacrifice, otherwise I would give it; You are not pleased with burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, O God, You will not despise. Psalm 51:16 & 17

HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO MY LIFE?
A common misconception is God is pleased by works alone. But what God desires is a sacrifice of thanksgiving, a thankful heart. He doesn't want us to just go through the motions of going to church, giving money, or devoting our time, He wants us to lay down ourselves as sacrifices so that He may use us.


Copyright 2007, City Vision / John A. Mayer
You can purchase a copy of the CityView Report here.

PROFILES OF IMMIGRANT GROUPS IN THE TWIN CITIES

10. Korean — Pop. 15,500

• Arrived since the 1960s. 25% of Koreans in the Twin Cities arrived in the 1990s.
• 39% of Twin Cities Koreans are college graduates.
• The median age of a Korean person living in the Twin Cities is 19 years old.
Religion: Buddhist, Catholic, and Christian.



Michelle Wie

No comments: