Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Meineke & Me


Yesterday after running errands, it looked like our Jeep was leaking coolant. After popping the hood, our fears were confirmed. The coolant level was none. This morning while getting ready to go to the hospital (more on that later), I was almost overcome with fear as to how I would pay for a new radiator. Of course I didn't know what the problem was but I had let myself worry and fear the worst. Thankfully I remembered the passage in scripture where it tells us to cast all our cares upon God (1 Peter 5:7). After some praying, I felt better knowing that God would provide.

Upon getting home from the hospital, De and I drove to Meineke to have Betty the Jeep looked over. Thankfully De was here so we had a vehicle to get home in. (Perfect timing God!) Not 30 minutes later we got a call from Meineke. We held our breath as they told us it was only a hose. Thank you God! While it was still a rather expensive hose/labor combination, it was doable.

As De and I pulled into our driveway after picking up Betty the Jeep, she noticed Betty was dripping coolant...a lot. Oh no. So I called Meineke back up and they said to bring her back in. As I arrived they told me to pull into the garage and pop the hood. When I got out, I noticed a familiar song playing on the radio, Avalon's "Testify to Love". Definitely not a secular song. Hmmm...

Thankfully the leaking came from the radiator cap which wasn't tightened securely. So as they were cleaning up the green fluid that had been leaking from Betty, I asked the lead mechanic (who had a heavy Australian accent) what radio station they had on. His answer, KTIS.

I responded with a "great!" and after some brief small talk, I learned that he attended Bethany Church in Bloomington. The same Bethany church that is on the campus of STEM! Cool!

Now as to why we were at the hospital again. Brevin was born with a higher level of bilirubin which produces Jaundice. Basically, his skin and the whites of his eyes turn a yellow color. A low level is common and nothing to worry about. But higher levels can cause sever brain damage.

Brevin was at a level 12 when we left the hospital. Yesterday he read a 16. Today he was a 17. Danger levels are at 30. So he is in no danger but we would like the number to go down instead of up. We have another appointment tomorrow for another test and with that result, the doctors will have a better idea of how his bilirubin levels are coming.

We'll keep you updated and thank you for your prayers!

—b

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I was in college, my biology nerd friends and I decided that one of us should name our child William (Billy) Reuben. Subtle geek humor. I doubt anyone will actually do it though. I still think of that any time anyone mentions bilirubin.

Praying that Brevin is feeling better soon!

Unknown said...

Thats funny you should say that. When I was originally typing up this post, I typed bilirubin as Billy Rueben thinking it was named after someone.

Yes, I'm stupid.

—b