Thursday, October 13, 2005

Thou Shalt Not Covet...Do'h!


iPod. Just hearing the word and I start to salivate. Yes I realize I need help. I've already got one. But alas, we aren't ever satisfied are we? I've got more songs than I can possibly listen too. (approximately 20,000. It would take two months to listen to them all if they were playing 24/7.) But I still want more! Yes I realize I need help. So why do I "need" this? I don't. But "wanting" is so much fun isn't it?

Anyway, I just felt convicted after coveting the new evolution in the iPod family. With all that's happening in the world: tsunami's, hurricanes, and earthquakes (and those are just the natural disasters) why set my eyes towards an object that won't satisfy my cravings? We always want more. What we have is never enough.

I honestly feel "full" after a good quiet time. (Oh great, he just had to bring God into the picture.) So why is it sometimes (more than I'd like to admit) like pulling teeth to sit down and spend some time with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ? To be honest, I don't know. Sinful nature? Maybe. Lazy? Sometimes. Not enough time? Not at all. If I really wanted to spend time with Him, I'd make the time. All I know is that I experience such and uplifting experience every time I read God's Word.

Anyway, I'll get off of my high horse because I don't have quiet time everyday. Yikes! Can I admit that and still be a "good Christian". (If there is such a thing.) It's a daily struggle. Hmmm... where have I heard this before? Oh yea (to paraphrase) We must take up our cross daily.

If you need a push in the right direction as to where to start or how to start a quiet time, one of my favorite reads for a Bible study program is "How to Study the Bible for Yourself" by Tim LaHaye. It was originally published in 1976 (way before his success with the Left Behind series) and has several re-printings. It's a quick read and will motivate and encourage you. It sets up a three-year Bible study program. (I'm on pace for five-years).

Anyway, don't be discouraged or feel intimidated. Til next time...

—b

3 comments:

Emily said...

Bernt, It's funny that you posted this Thursday. I was at IV Thursday night. We broke into small groups and one of the verses we discussed was Hebrews 13:5 "Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.' " I mentioned how the money was provided for you to have an ipod, that it has been a useful tool for you, and that you are CONTENT with it. It's hard to stay content isn't it? How did Paul do it? ~Philippians 4:12~ I just got volume 10 of Odyssey on CD. Volumes 9,10,11 were just released on CD for the first time with bonus features. I want all of them. Dad was looking at digital cameras with me on Saturday. We found a really good one for a good price, but it was out of stock. "I want a party. I want a cookie. I want. I want. I want. I want. Me. Me. Me. Me. My. My. My. My. Now. Now. Now. Now. [long gasp for breath]" Name that movie.

Unknown said...

Name of your movie Emily; Hook. That line was spoken by Dustin Hoffman portraying Captain Hook. A great movie!

"Rufio, Rufio, Ru...fi...ooooooo!!!"

—b

Emily said...

Very Good! (I probably botched the quote a bit though.)