Friday, June 08, 2007

Jousting For Jesus


Our church has wanted to be more involved in helping the community and "being Jesus" to them by serving them in love. Last night several of us helped out at the Hiawatha school located across the street from the church. The school held, what appears to be, it's annual last day of school celebration. Kids (kindergarten-5th graders) were able to go on pony rides, toss bean bags, jump in inflated cages, and joust.

Can you guess what area Erin and I were assigned to?
Good job! The joust! You guys are so smart.

While Erin was able to take advantage of a folding chair taking the kids' tickets, I helped them get their helmets on and cheered for them while they were up on their pedastals. I had a lot of fun shouting with them and commentating as the kids struggled to even hold the heavy "sticks" and keep their balance. Occaisionally you could tell the kids took some of the hits personally but overall they all had a lot of fun. I'm not sure who had more fun, me clapping and routing or the kids themselves.

The following is an email from one of our pastors:

Hey amazing team!!!

I'm so proud of all of you for giving up your Thursday evening in service to Hiawatha School in the name of the Lord. It was truly wonderful to see you all there. There were so many comments made by the parents and teachers about how amazed they were or thankful they were or how this was the first year they were able to walk around and enjoy the Fiesta as a participant, and on and on.

So thanks for being Jesus to the community. I hope you were blessed in it. I know I was. As you remember, please pray that those who know who we were would be encouraged by the Spirit to seek him out whether that's coming to Hiawatha or not. May Jesus be evermore known through our actions!! Amen.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who really had fun.

Have a great weekend!

—b

No comments: