Friday, June 29, 2007

Can iPhone Home?


As you have all heard (and that's even without this new phone) that Apple today released there coveted iPhone. You know the one. It all-but has the same capabilities as a laptop only in phone form. So why did I choose to post on this today? Well, besides trying not to covet it, I thought I share some timeless wisdom from my dad.

The cell phone as we know it is a relatively new invention. The first time I heard of a phone that wasn't located in a house was my brother's friends dads (did you follow that) car phone. How cool! A phone in your car! Well that was almost 20 years ago (yes Naener, I'm old) and now you can even access an invention barely even around called the internet on one.

Well, I read an article this afternoon about how this morning on NBC's "Today" show was outside the Apple store reporting on the long lines and the latest fad. To show how the new phone worked, host Matt Lauer called co-host Meredith Vieira from London and her new iPhone showed his incoming call. The only problem was she didn't know how to "answer" the phone. Oops. So much for being "the most user friendly smart phone ever".

So what does this have to do with some fatherly wisdom?

Two longs and a short. Yep, you read me correctly. That's how my dad's first home telephone worked. You know the kind they used in the Andy Griffith show. You picked up the phone and if none of your neighbors were on it you could call my dad at two long handle turns and one short one. Not the most extravegant thing in the world but hey, at least you knew how to "answer" it.

Roto phone = 1, iPhone = 0

—b

PS. You can read that article here.

No comments: