Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Major League Soccer

While probably 95% of people are gearing up for opening day of Major League Baseball, the other 5% of us are looking forward to the "First Kick" of Major League Soccer (MLS). Don't get me wrong, I'm also looking forward to pro ball being played but I figure I'd give some attention to the overlooked MLS.

A brief background of Major League Soccer:
It started off of the hype of the 1996 World Cup (the one held here in the states). For the first eight or nine years of it's existance, MLS has struggled finanically. Most people had doomed the franchise the way of the failed North American Soccer League (NASL).

But recently has made deals with ESPN, Univision, Fox Soccer Channel, HDNet, and yes David Beckham. For the first time, MLS won't have to pay the TV exects to broadcast the games, it is now the other way around. With fan bases steadily increasing, stadiums being built exclusively for the clubs, and several other cities wanting teams, Major League Soccer has started taking bloom.


Anyway, sparatically over the past few years, my brother and I have competed in MFLS.com (Major Fantasay League Soccer). I have created a league and if you'd like to join, your welcome to. The cost is FREE. Click MFLS.com to visit the homepage and create a team. The league I created is called USMNT 1913.

I realize if you have never watched a MLS game before, trying to pick players to make a fantasy team would seem impossible. I'm not expecting anyone to join (which is why it's a public league) but you never know. Someone out there might be among the 5% who are really looking forward to this year's "First Kick".

—b

Tuesday, March 20th, 2007/2 Chronicles chapters 10–12

GOD'S MESSAGE FOR ME TODAY
When the kingdom of Rehoboam was established and strong, he and all Israel with him forsook the law of the LORD. 2 Chronicles 12:1

HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO MY LIFE?
When things are going great for us, why is it that we are more ought to spend less time with God? Do we think we don't need Him as much when things are tough? And if that's the case, would it be better if God allowed life to be rough 100% of the time so that we would have a greater dependance on Him? I think it might be even more impressive to seek God and thank Him when all is well.

What do you think?


Copyright 2007, City Vision / John A. Mayer
You can purchase a copy of the CityView Report here.

SPIRITUAL TWIN CITIES NOTEABLES
• By definition, a new church plant is a church that is less than two years old. According to church growth expert C. Peter Wagner, "New churches are the best way to reach unchurched people."

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I haven't gotten into soccer much, but last year John and I were in Barcelona and got the chance to see a game there. I had an idea that soccer is much bigger in other countries, but that proved it. The 90,000+ stadium was mind blowing. Plus we got to see the great Ronaldino! So then we got into watching the World Cup. It was amazing to see the talent and excitement. I haven't followed it in the US but I might have to look into it. Thanks for the reminder.

Unknown said...

I'm jealous. Ronaldino is a superstar and the majority of Americans have never even heard of him.

I would love to see a football match in Europe. My sister has gone to a Leeds United match and she said it was intense. Oh well, maybe someday.

—b