Thursday, January 04, 2007

Path of Destruction...

...or a Timeless Principle?

A couple of days ago I finished reading a"nerd vovel". It was based on the Star Wars universe. Don't worry, I won't bore you the the details but there was a principle in the book that I couldn't help but apply to Christian living.

The Path of Destruction is about the life of Darth Bane. He was a Sith apprenctice who desperately wanted to increase his knowledge of the Force and to do so, he spent hours studying the "ancient texts". A practice that had been all but abandoned by the other apprentices. By studying along with his continued practice of "Sith life", he was not only able to surpass the Sith wannabe's but the instructors who didn't read the texts.

I kept thinking how the same practice applies to being a Christ follower. Yes "faith without works is dead" (James 2:26), but we must also spent time getting to know our heavenly Father through His "ancient texts". As it says in Joshua 1:8, "you shall meditate on it day and night".

Now I don't know if the author is a follower of Christ or not but if a secular book can point out the advantages of studying along with living the life, I would have to say that this is a Timeless Principle that will lead us out of a Path of Destruction.

—b

Thursday, January 4th, 2007/Deuteronomy chapters 9-12

GOD'S MESSAGE FOR ME TODAY
"I, moreover, stayed on the mountain forty days and forty nights like the first time, and the LORD listened to me that time also; the LORD was not willing to destroy you." Deuteronomy 10:10

HOW DOES THIS APPLY TO MY LIFE?
More and more I'm learning about the power of prayer. As Moses is recapping the events in Exodus and Leticus, he has, just in this chapter alone, mentioned 3 times when he interceded on Isreal's behalf. (The other 2 times are 9:19, & 9:25.) And because of Moses' intercessory prayers, Israel was spared. I must constantly remind myself that prayers can make a difference!

Copyright 2006, City Vision / John A. Mayer
You can purchase a copy of the CityView Report here.

SPIRITUAL TWIN CITIES NOTEABLES

• 2/3 of all churches planted since 1990 have been non-white churches.

No comments: